Thursday, July 28, 2005

You're Nobody Till Google Indexes You

You're nobody till Google indexes you. Sounds ominous doesn't it. I can hear mothers telling their children, "Eat your vegetables or Google will index you."

Remember Skynet from the Terminator movies. It was a computer program that used the combined power of the world's computers and assumed control and tried to eliminate humans from the Earth. I can't imagine Google turning hostile like Skynet. It doesn't sound dangerous to be GOOGLED by a computer.

In Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter's new book "Sunstorm", it's mentioned that a future worldwide computer intelligence evolved from the search engines of the late twentieth century. I can see Google becoming like the intelligence called Aristotle from "Sunstorm". But again, I think the name will have to be changed to something more serious sounding.

Google already gives us the ability to find just about any information on just about anything. It's got maps, mail, news, and is working on a million volume library (I can't wait for that one). I can type in a telephone number and find out who it belongs to. Need the answer to a math problem? Type it into the search box and the calculator function supplies the answer.

If I type in my alter ego nickname Phremind, I get a list of a lot of the places I've (and anyone else using that name) visited and marked. If I was paranoid I'd be worried, wouldn't I?

Will Google become the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent (sounds like God) computerized companion in our future? I'm pretty sure they are working on a replicator that will give them the ability to construct actual products for us right on the desktop. I read that on the Internet somewhere. And there's an implantable Google chip in the works too!

We are the . You will be assimilated.

No comments: